A Hacker’s Guide to Reading
I wanted to learn as much as possible about (‘building great teams’) and (‘professional growth’) quickly. To reach this goal, I challenged myself to read 3 books a week for a year. The math coming out to 106 books. How I got there was making time in my day to read and audiobook. Both of these methods increased the time I spend reading a book by x3.
- 30 minutes of reading a day
- Audiobook everywhere (in traffic, at work, even while cooking)
- Library trip once a week - see what resources they have
- OverDrive - they’re a great resource for free books and audiobook
Lisa’s Book Recommendation
I made of list of highly recommended reading selection that I made over the years. The books range in a variety of genres from business to cooking. I added links to purchase the book on Amazon (not sponsored), but I would highly encourage checking if your local library has any of them.
- Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team by Simon Sinek
- I listened to the audiobook version of this twice! It’s a must read for those searching for your next career move and great for align your team.
- Emotional Entelligence by Gill Hasson
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- The Culture Code by Daniel Coyle
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck by Sarah Knight
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
- You Are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero
- How to American: An Immigrant’s Guide to Disappointing Your Parents by Jimmy O. Yang
- Decode and Conquer: Answers to Product Management Interviews by Lewis C. Lin
- This book is a great resource for product management candidates looking for frameworks and sample answers to help you win the interview.
- Cracking the PM Interview by Gayle Laakmann-Mcdowell
- Comprehensive book in how to get a job in product management.
- Cracking the Coding Interview by Gayle Laakmann-Mcdowell
- A staple book to preparing for a developer job interview process.
- Everyone Lies by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
- Brilliant read demostrating how big data can give us surprising answers to our social sciences.
- How Google Works by Eric Schmidt 6.Experience on Demand by Jeremy Bailenson
- Soft Skills: The software developer’s life manual
- Feminist Fight Club: A Survival Manual for a Sexist Workplace
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg & Adam Grant
- Crazy Rich Asian by Kevin Kwan
- Best-Selling Novel, soon to be movie release on August 18 .
- Rich China Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan
- Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan